Philanthropic Stewardship Associate Oregon Community Foundation Portland, OR 97205 Job details Salary $20.80 - $24.95 an hour Full Job Description Oregon Community Foundation Philanthropic Stewardship Associate Location: Portland, OR Application Deadline: 3/5/2021 Background: Since 1973, the Oregon Community Foundation (OCF) has pursued a mission to improve lives for all Oregonians through the power of philanthropy. The Foundation invites Oregonians with different perspectives to come together around the shared value of giving back. We work with... Read More
Philanthropic Stewardship Associate
Philanthropic Stewardship Associate
Oregon Community Foundation
Portland, OR 97205
$20.80 - $24.95 an hour
Full Job Description
Oregon Community Foundation
Philanthropic Stewardship Associate
Location: Portland, OR
Application Deadline: 3/5/2021
Since 1973, the Oregon Community Foundation (OCF) has pursued a mission to improve lives for all Oregonians through the power of philanthropy. The Foundation invites Oregonians with different perspectives to come together around the shared value of giving back. We work with individuals, families, businesses and organizations to create charitable funds that support the community causes they care about. These funds support the critical work that nonprofits are doing across Oregon. Our headquarters are in Portland, with regional offices in Bend, Eugene, Salem, and Medford, Oregon.
The Philanthropic Stewardship Associate is responsible for creating customized written materials to acknowledge donors, celebrate milestones and solicit contributions for special campaigns such as the OCF Leadership Fund. This position also maintains and enhances records and processes to express appreciation to donors that have included OCF in their estate plans, including donors who have created a split interest gift, referred to as deferred donors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Donor Acknowledgement and Communications - Percentage of Time: 60%
* Create gift acknowledgments from reporting database and personalize letters based on circumstances surrounding gift, prioritizing timeliness and accuracy and expressing gratitude in a manner that inspires continued giving
* Coordinate review of letters and obtain signature of President and CEO or appropriate staff
* Create and coordinate appreciation letters from board members
* Recommend appropriate supplemental actions depending on the nature of the gift. This might include handwritten notes by letter signers or personal handwritten notes from members of OCFs leadership teams.
* Prepare envelope and mail acknowledgements
* Scan and file all acknowledgment letters and notes and document all communications in database
* Identify, recommend and implement improvements and/or modifications to internal processes and procedures to ensure prompt and customized acknowledgements
* Identify, recommend and implement enhancements to letter templates to automate, as much as possible, the wide variety of contributions
* Personalize and periodically update the standard text of letters
* Conceptualize new ways of celebrating donor giving and impact through OCF communications
* Assist with the production of special reports and efforts to celebrate milestones such as total contributions to OCF, years of partnership with the foundation, and/or cumulative amounts of grantmaking from a fund
* Assist with additional donor communications as requested
* Stay abreast of charitable trends in the philanthropic field related to opportunities for innovative donor stewardship
Deferred Donor Stewardship - Percentage of Time: 25%
* Create, update and maintain records in the database for donors who have designated OCF in their estate, including donors who have created a split interest gift
* Create letters for deferred donors, seeking input and signatures from relationship manager as appropriate
* Identify, recommend and implement enhancements to the deferred donor appreciation and stewardship process including improved coding and tracking in the database
* Explore and coordinate deferred donor stewardship practices with Philanthropic Services staff
* Work with members of the Philanthropic Services Team to ensure that department staff are educated about deferred donor processes
Direct Mail Content and Coordination - Percentage of Time: 15%
* Create appeal letters for special campaigns such as the OCF Leadership Fund
* Maintain active awareness of foundation goals and objectives, and integrate these priorities into communications where appropriate
* Manage department communications calendar to coordinate planned communications; assist with event-related communications and mailings as requested
* Work with Marketing and Communications to ensure that all direct mail comports with OCF branding and messaging
* None identified
Marginal or Non-Essential Duties:
* None identified.
Required Cultural Values: In addition to the specific job requirements for each position, staff are expected to embody certain cultural values to support OCFs mission: communicate effectively, value one another, demonstrate accountability, embrace possibilities, address conflict and take action.
Required Education, Skills, Training and Experience and Skills
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and qualifications for the role.
* Four years experience in development, nonprofit, public relations or related field
* Bachelors degree or equivalent experience in lieu of degree
* Excellent communication, editing and proofreading skills, both verbal and written; able to convey information clearly, efficiently, collegially and effectively
* Detailed proofreader
* Experience writing solicitation and acknowledgement letters that inspire continued giving
* Demonstrated experience working with/communicating with high net worth individuals
* Understanding of the goals of development and donor stewardship
* Excellent analytical skills: able to think critically, apply sound judgment and problem-solving skills
* Excellent time management and organizational skills with ability to adjust plans as needed and work on several projects at a time
* Demonstrated initiative, creativity, and experience working independently, proactively. identifying or initiating ways to enhance a process, procedure or outcome that benefits OCF
* Theoretical and practical project management knowledge and knowledge of techniques and tools used in project management
* Exceptional relationship building skills and demonstrated ability to effectively and proactively interact, communicate and collaborate on multidisciplinary teams
* Proficiency with MS Office Suite, project management software, and experience working with complex integrated databases
* Cultural agility skills necessary to work effectively with diverse people, teams and communities
* Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
Physical Demands and Working Conditions: This job is typically performed under comfortable working conditions; any disagreeable elements are generally absent during normal performance of the job. Job duties are performed in an office setting or indoor meeting rooms. Requires frequent use of computer monitor and use of mouse, some repetitive typing. Requires ability to sit or stand for long periods at a time. May require lifting up to 25 lbs. on occasion.
The physical effort typically applied in this job includes: Standing, sitting, walking, bending, lifting, carrying, pulling, pushing, reaching, manipulating, stretching, keying/typing.
The amount of effort typically applied and the frequency of application: (Whereas, the following refers to lifting, any equivalent effort may be substituted.)
Less than 1 pound Effort applied less than 15% of the time
Between 1 and 5 pounds Effort applied less than 15% of the time
Between 5 and 25 pounds Effort applied less than 15% of time
The effort reflected above is typically applied when sitting, standing, bending, and walking.
Travel - Percentage of Time: 0-5%
Upon occasion, may require ability to travel to regional offices in Bend, Eugene, Medford, and/or Salem in completion of job duties.
Safety: Support a safe work environment by performing work duties safely and according to procedures. This includes reporting all injuries, illnesses or accidents sustained while working to your immediate supervisor as soon as possible after the occurrence or within 24 hours of the injury, illness or accident, and reporting any accident involving OCF vehicles, equipment or other property, regardless of the nature of the accident, to your immediate supervisor as soon as possible after the accident.
Attendance Requirements: Regular punctuality and attendance is required. Work hours outside of normal business hours are performed as needed.
Compensation and Benefits: This is a non-exempt, full-time position. The hiring range for this position is $20.80 to $24.95/hour, DOE.
Our excellent benefit package includes generous paid time off, choice of medical and dental coverage, vision, outstanding 401k retirement plan, commuter and healthcare pre-tax savings accounts, employer-paid disability and life. Employees have access to an Employee Assistance Plan, paid volunteer leave, professional development opportunities, and much more!
To Apply: The Oregon Community Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We strive to build a diverse workforce to promote effective work in partnership with all communities and population groups in Oregon. We welcome a diverse pool of qualified applicants.
To be considered for this position, please provide a cover letter addressing how you meet the requirements of this position and a copy of your most recent resume. Apply online at https://oregoncf.org/about/careers/